Report in the Chester Chronicle 30 December 1916 of the military wedding of John Thomas Jones and Lydia Ann Houghton
"On Thursday a quiet wedding was solemnised at the Primitive Methodist Church, Ellesmere Port, the contracting parties being Captain and Adjutant John T. Jones, son of Mrs. Jones of Richmond Terrace, Whitchurch and nephew of Sir Henry Jones, and Miss Lydia Ann Houghton, daughter of Mr. George Houghton of Ellesmere Port. The bride was given away by her father, and looked very neat in a navy blue costume, with silk hat to match, with lovely furs, the gift from the bridegroom, and was attended by Miss Mary Jones, sister of the bridegroom. The Rev. John Swinden was the officiating minister and Mr. T. H. Whitby, an old friend of the bridegroom, was at the organ. Captain Jones is attached to the headquarters, 38th Divisional Train, B.E.F., France with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and has been in France nearly 18 months. Prior to accepting a commission in the army he was on the staff of the Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Co. at Chester, subsequent to which he was for several years in the Ellesmere Port Offices. and at both places made a large number of friends, by whom he was highly respected. Before the war Captain Jones was the secretary of the Chester Football Club, and during his somewhat lengthy term of office the team was very successful. The happy couple left immediately after the ceremony by motor for Chester en route to Llandudno, where the honeymoon was to be spent. As the party left the church the few friends who had gathered showered confetti."
Chester Chronicle 30th December 1916