County branches of the Red Cross had their own groups of male and female volunteers called Voluntary Aid Detachments. At the beginning of WW1 the V.A.Ds carried out a range of voluntary positions including nursing, transport duties, working parties and the organisation of rest stations and auxiliary hospitals.
In September 1915 a “general service” section of the V.A.D. was established. The new roles undertaken included dispensers, clerks, cooks and storekeepers, replacing the men who had gone off to fight.
VAD hospitals and depots in the Whitchurch area included :
Seven Sisters, Ellesmere
Trimpley Hall, Ellesmere