Bury Free Press 23 January 1915

Report in the Bury Free Press surmising that Lord Grosvenor had been taken prisoner


As there has been some difference in the accounts of how Lord Hugh Grosvenor, 1st Life Guards, was wounded and taken prisoner during the close of the fighting on the Aisne, the following account, given by an eye witness, may be interesting. On the day of the action in which the matter took place, a British infantry detachment in the trenches was being badly punished by the German guns. The infantry could not go forward and they would not go back, so a diversion was necessary. The Royal Horse Guards, 2nd Life Guards, and the 1st Life Guards in the order named were supporting the British guns at the rear of the trenches - the guns being two batteries of Royal Horse Artillery. The cavalry moved to the right flank of the trenches and under cover of a wood formed up - the Blues leading - to gallop across the front to the German guns and so draw their fire. The three regiments galloped across the guns, which opened on them. The Blues being in front got off comparatively easy, the 2nd Life Guards got it heavier and the 1st Life Guards bringing up the rear got it very hard. Lord Hugh Grosvenor was riding in front of his squadron when a shrapnel shell brought down his horse and wounded him in the leg. He made an attempt to get another horse, but failed. In the meantime the cavalry had swept on to the other flank and the infantry taking advantage of the diversion rapidly rushed to either flank and carried the German guns - five in all - with the bayonet. Subsequently when the ground was searched for our wounded Lord Hugh Grosvenor was reported missing and it was surmised that some of the German skirmishers had carried him off."

Bury Free Press 23 January 1915

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

We want to make sure you're human! * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.